Our volunteers receive thorough training and are fully supported by Project Workers. Volunteering can help you gain new skills for your career development and is great experience if you want to work with children and families.
Some volunteers just do a year with us, some have worked with us for a long time. Their reasons for volunteering vary:
- To get new experience to apply for jobs
- For hands on experience to compliment a course such as Psychology or Social Work
- To dip a toe in this area to decide if it might be a career
- To give something back
- To maintain contact with small children
- Because they can remember how hard parenting was in the early years.
- Just because they want to help and get personal satisfaction.
Video: click here to Watch our volunteers and families talking about what they do
Dates for the training courses click here
Types of Volunteer
Am I eligible to be a volunteer befriender?
- Can you spare 2 hours a week
- Are you reliable
- Are you caring and non-judgemental
- Are you a good listener
- Are you able to maintain confidentiality
- Have you got some understanding of the ups and downs of family life
- Are you over 18
Then yes, please get in touch we'd love to hear from you.
How much of your time do we need?
- Midlothian volunteers visit famiies for 2 hrs a week for 6 months
- Edinburgh volunteers visit families for 2 hrs a week for up to 12 months
Faqs about volunteering with us click here