This week 2 charities have joined forces with a Boxing Gym, a Chartered Accountants and Business Adviser and an Edinburgh School to ensure that Lothian families don’t miss out this Christmas. They have been collecting, buying and distributing hundreds of toys and food parcels.
Local charity Home Link Family Support made a list of 45 families who were struggling to afford Christmas this year.
Scott Moncrieff staff members chose a family and went shopping for them, buying amazing presents: scooters, books, farms, dolls and trucks. Freshstart collected up a large van full of gifts and delivered them to Home Link Family Support’s office where their co-ordinators were ready to deliver them to individual families across Edinburgh and Midlothian. The presents are deliberately delivered unwrapped but with plenty of paper and sellotape, so that the parents will get the satisfaction of wrapping the gifts themselves and know what each child is getting.
This year Home Link also received fantastic gifts via Cody’s Xmas Toy Box organised by 8 yr old Cody McManus and Holyrood Boxing Gym.
And just to put the icing literally on the cake – Edinburgh Academy gathered donations of gorgeous festive food – cakes, chocolates, pies and juices for 20 Christmas hampers.
Now the goodies are all delivered to the families ready for wrapping for Christmas Day.
Most of the families had no idea that they were getting anything and they said:
- I have been really struggling this year and was worried about what I would be able to provide for the wee one’s Christmas. I can now look forward to seeing his face one Christmas morning.
- Massive thank you - totally unexpected. Had me in tears with shock and kindness. Didn’t expect it at all – it was a complete surprise. I didn’t think I deserved it. I’d been feeling like that no one has cared recently such as friends, family with selfishness – so to actually think there is actually people out there that can care for me and other families in need has made me realise how caring, wonderful and nice amazing people there are out there. For which I’m very, very grateful and thank you so much – it will make it extra special for me and my wee boy on Christmas Day. Thank you from the bottom of my heart – it was nice to cry happy tears for once. I can’t wait to open them and see my wee boy’s face.
- From Mum and Dad of a very new baby: Thank you so much for the food hamper, it’s great. Really takes the pressure off and means we don’t need to take the baby out in the cold to shop for food. Brilliant. Thanks
- Thank you so much for the six gifts for our children. We are blown away by the kindness and generosity and it has been a big help for us,
- Thank you so much for the lovely presents. P will love the Frozen Scooter and F will love the building blocks. These gifts have been such a great help.
- Thank you so much for the gift. G will be thrilled when ‘Santa’ brings it. Your generosity and community spirit are to be commended
- Thanks so much for the food. It’s really kind. My wee girl will be well chuffed when she comes home from school!
- Edinburgh Academy
- Fresh Start is an Edinburgh based charity helping people who have been homeless get established in their new home. Working in partnership with volunteers and organisations from a broad section of the community, we deliver a range of services that provide the practical and social support that help people resettle successfully.
- Scott-Moncrieff is one of Scotland’s leading independent firms of chartered accountants and business advisers.
- Cody’s Xmas Toy Box is an appeal organised by Holyrood Boxing Gym in which 8 yr old boxer Cody Mcmanus raised an incredible £2840 to buy toys for disadvantaged children.